Monday, September 14, 2009

Thinking About our Country

"But in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him." (Acts 10:35).

"Whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

"And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah? And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away." (1 Kings 19:13-14)

"Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him." (1 Kings 19:18)

There are many things going on in the United States today that are quite alarming. The government is taking a turn away from God. The hearts of the people are also taking a turn. Instead of looking to God they are looking to government to meet their needs. In our country we have our beloved Constitution that states our God given rights, but those rights look to be in jeopardy. Congress and the president are moving for a more global society through acceptance of universal laws made by the United Nations.

Lately, amongst all the calamity I hear people saying, "Where are the Christians?" It sort of puts me on a guilt trip. I take a stand as best I can, but some days I feel overwhelmed. Yes, we need to take a stand upholding the word of God, but I have chosen to put the outcome of what I do in the Lord's hands. It is not by our own strength that our country will change. If it was, then we could all boast. God wants us to rely on Him. I see this in the story of Elijah taken from 1 Kings 19.

In 1 Kings 19, we see that Israel was governed by Ahab & Jezebel, a couple that did not follow God. Most of the country was ungodly, but yet God told Elijah that 7,000 remained faithful to Him, that Elijah was not the only one left. I see in this that God knows who are His. He closely watches them in the midst of a country that has gone astray. And what about other countries where there are Christians, but their government is evil? Are they bad Christians because of what is going on in their country?

So, what am I getting at? Well, I am trying to encourage Christians. Just because things are taking a turn in our country does not mean that we are bad Christians. As Acts 10:35 says, "he that fearth Him, and worketh righteousness is accepted with Him." God knows what is going on and He knows who are His in every country on this planet. In HIS time, God will use us and we will be mighty in HIM and work great wonders in HIS strength.