Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Demonstrating Our Love for Him


Purity is best demonstrated by generosity. Luke 11:41 (translation from the Living Bible)

This verse speaks to me. Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees in the above verse. He said that they wash the outside, but on the inside they were very dirty - full of greed and wickedness. They were careful to follow the law, but their motives were wrong. He told them that they were forgetting about justice and the love of God. He accused them of hiding the truth from people by appearing to accept God when they were not. In today's language, they were going through the motions, but their heart wasn't in it.

These are amazing passages. The Lord is looking for a tender, humble heart, open to Him. He isn't looking for robots. He wants a relationship with us. He wants our right actions to spring out of love for Him. Once we love Him, we will naturally love others. When I am filled with Him I will naturally have something to give others. Out of me, will spring living water.

Generosity of heart means willingness to forgive. Willingness to help others. Etc. We can only get this from our Lord. Let my love for you O Lord spring up into service of those around me. Lord, please let me be pleasing to you this day. In Jesus name I ask ~ Amen.