Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Parenting Thoughts

1 Peter 5:3
...nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

1 Peter 5:5
...Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

1 Peter 5:6-7
Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all you care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Being a parent of two teenage boys can be frustrating. The above verses spoke to me...

1. Being an example to our kids is important.
2. Teenagers are not always submissive or humble, but I need to be.
3. Accepting my teen's advice regarding electronic gadgets is modeling a submissive attitude.
4. Letting my teen know more than me in certain areas shows humility.
5. God resists the proud. I better get humble because I need all the grace I can get!
6. Being humble is not complaining about what I have to do for everyone.
6. I need to wait on God to lift me up, I don't need to do it myself.
7. I need to cast all my parenting struggles upon Him because He cares.