Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reading in Amos

Today, I read the Old Testament, book of Amos.

"I sent you hunger, says the Lord, but it did no good, you still would not return to me. (Amos 4:6)

"I hate your show and pretence - your hypocrisy of "honoring" me with your religious feasts and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and thank offerings. I will not look at your offerings of peace. Away with your hymns of praise - they are mere noise to my ears. I will not listen to your music, no matter how lovely it is." (Amos 5:21-23)

The Lord does not want to be a token, nor a religion. He wants to have a personal relationship with us. He sent His only son to pay the price for our sins. Oh Lord, how I long for you in this dry and weary land. How I long to obey you, to worship you with my life. My heart desires to please you. Oh Lord, please let my life honor you, let my heart love you and nothing else.