Saturday, February 13, 2010

Attractive Things

"As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Because of that cross my interest in all the attractive things of the world was killed long ago, and the world's interest in me is also long dead."  (Galatians 6:14)

The attractive things of the world, what are they for you?  It may be an expensive car, a large home in a nice neighborhood, quality clothing, fancy dishes, etc.  There are many things in this world that attract our attention.  Our society is built around the accumulation of "goodies", moving up to bigger & better whatever that may be.  But what is truly essential in life is our relationship with Jesus.  We can have all the other goodies, but be desperately poor & naked because we do not have Him.  No matter what your situation, if you have salvation you are truly wealthy indeed.

As followers of the Lord Jesus, our desire for Him should increase and our desire for the things of this world should decrease.  Through my experience of my husband losing his job in California and getting relocated to Colorado I have come to see things in a new light.  I saw the Lord's hand in all that happened.  I had to put my sweet little cottage up for sale.  Then two of my pets passed away.  I learned that even the pets He gives me are blessings from Him.  And that they are not mine, they are His and He lets me care for them.  I learned that my house is not "mine" it is His, I am just the care taker and He can give my house to whoever He wants.  He provides all and as Job said "The Lord gives and He takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

Father, I ask in your son's name, that you please make my desire for YOU increase and the desire for the things of this world decrease.  Let me be content with where You place me and what you give me. Let me bless your name always.  Amen.