Thursday, July 2, 2009

Studying 1 John 2:16

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world."

All that is in the world:
1. Lust of the flesh
2. Lust of the eyes
3. Pride of life

Lust is the desire for something forbidden; an obsessive craving. That is not of God. So I am thinking that God has no part in tormenting us. So whenever I get that feeling...I just gotta have it...that is from the enemy.

I have lusted over a bigger house, an expensive car, money, popularity, etc. Thankfully, I have learned that instead of going out and getting these things, I go to God. I lay all my desires at His feet and look to Him to fulfill them. I have been trying to practice contentment. This has been going on for years. I have also learned that it takes years to turn over a new leaf. It doesn't happen overnight. It is okay, just so long as I keep making progress.

Here is my little thought list:

Its not about sex
Its about relationship - marriage

Its not about what I own
Its about how I use it for God

Its not about how I look to others
Its about how I look to God

Its not about me being served
Its about me serving others

It not about more
Its about contentment

Its not about ME
Its about JESUS