Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hardships

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia.  We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life.  In deed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death.  But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves, but on God, who raises the dead.  (2 Corinthians 1:8-9)

This little bird is hanging on to a reed as the soft wind blows against him.  The reed bends and moves to and fro as he continues to hang on.  He seems unmoved as he sits in place and moves with the wind.  He is not afraid.

The above scripture verse really spoke to me the other night especially since I feel that I am enduring a trial that is far beyond my ability.  As Paul says in this verse, it happens so that we might not rely on ourselves, but on God, who is all powerful.  So therefore my trial is set in place that I may continue to seek Him.  It is His way of loving me, keeping me close.  Looking with spiritual eyes I can see the real reason behind it all, and I can rejoice in His LOVE.  Beloved, He loves us in ways that are high and lifted up, He never leaves us and does not want us to leave Him.  He loves us beyond what we can understand.  As the little bird that clings to the reed in the blowing wind, I can endure the wind as long as I hang on to Him.  I can rest and let the billows flow over me, confident that He love me.