Saturday, March 7, 2009

Putting Aside My Will

When I decide how circumstances should be or how they should go in my life, that is a form of pride. I should remember that the Lord knows better than my flesh. I should therefore not demand my own way. As Jesus said, "Father if you are willing, please take this cup of horror from me. But I want your will, not mine." (Luke 22:42) We need to trust in God alone and not in what our flesh knows, feels or sees. "Then He said to all, 'Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences and carry his cross with him everyday and keep close to me!'" (Luke 9:23).

"Your attitude should be the kind that was shown us by Jesus Christ, who though he was God, did not demand and cling to His rights as God, but laid aside His might power and glory, taking the disguise of a slave and becoming like men. And he humbled Himself even further, going so far as actually to die a criminal's death on a cross. Yet it was because of this that God raised Him up to the heights of heaven and gave Him a name which is above every other name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:5-11)

And the best part of all of this is that the Lord will not leave me alone to accomplish His will. "For God is at work within you, helping you want to obey Him, and then helping you do what He wants." (Philippians 2:13) One of my doctors who has been with me throughout this long trial I have been going through said to me "You certainly have got character." Today I came across this verse "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perserverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:3-4). So I am blessed beyond measure that God has used me to display His majesty. ~By RJ Finley~